Thursday, October 19, 2006

My first tempo run

I slept OK last night but I think the busy week with hardly any sleep really caught up with me today. First thing in the morning I was having trouble even stringing words together to form a sentence. After setting the alarm on snooze for 10 min I still had enough time in the morning to do a 1km warm up. After doing our drills we headed over to the lake to start the tempo session. Sean had put us into groups and I was in the 5.00m/km group whick meant 7.15 per lap. I originally had 4 laps on my program but Bernie suggested that since I was doing Bulls Head on the weekend to only do 3, a suggestion I was more than happy to take on :) Basically we had to stick together as close to the 5.00min/km pace and then step it up for the last km. There were 4 of us in the 5.00min/km group and I was joined by Bernie, Kulinda and a new girl. We came through the first lap about 10 seconds too early and Sean told us to slow it down a tad. We done the second lap pretty much spot on pace. As Kulinda was doing 4 laps, Bernie and I stepped it up for the last lap and ended up doing that lap in 6.54. I was really happy with how the session went as I was feeling really relaxed and comfortable the whole time. My breathing was controlled and my legs werent hurting too much. It gives me some hope that I might try to crack my 4 year dormant 5km PB of 23.43 soon after a few years of slow Nana running. Bernie and I added on a 2km recovery which took me to 8.5km for the day (still 1.5km short but I'm getting there).

One of the things I dont like about the sessions is the fact that I have to rush off to work afterwards (I hate it when work gets in the way of my running). I would always love to stop and chat afterwards and hate having to head off, but the buses in my area are so bad that if I miss one I have to wait 30 min. This morning I had meetings scheduled for 9.00am which I dont usually like to do on SWEAT days. I usually have my breakfast at work and because I had back to back meetings I didnt get breaky until 10.30am. I was one hungry hungry hippo...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home