Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Flying Solo

I forgot to check with Kerry yesterday at training whether this morning's group run was still on or not. A lot of the girls werent in training yesterday so I wasnt sure if they were taking some time off after Fitzroy Falls. I decided there was only one way to find out and set the alarm for 4.50 am (yawn). I hardly got any sleep last night, maybe around 3 hours. I need running to help me sleep properly and having those few days off really threw my sleeping out. It was hard getting out of bed this morning but I knew that since I wasnt sleeping there would be no point in "sleeping in" so I headed out the door. In my tired state I took way too long to get ready and was at the Centennial Park gates at 5.17 (2 minutes too late). For a second I thought that the group may have already gone, but judging by the few amount of cars there guessed that no-one was showing up.

I headed off on my own around the outside loop of the park and for the first few km's was very glad to be on my own as the legs were extremely stiff and slow and I dont think I could have handled Bernie and Katie's cracker pace :) It was really nice being out this morning. It was quite humid (and I managed to dress appropriately this time) but there was also a bit of a breeze cooling it down. After about the 6km mark the run actually started to become really enjoyable (except from the exhaust fumes of a bus at the Bondi Junction depot) as my legs had started to loosen up and I quickened up the pace. Once I reached my car I headed inside the park and headed for the inside loop of the park on the dirt. I saw Keith and a few others from the afternoon squad out running. Apparently he is only just starting to get over camp, glad to see I'm not the only one still feeling it. With only a few km's to go I saw Kerry heading into the park on her run and joined her for the rest of my run as she was heading over to see the baby geese that we have been lucky enough to watch growing over the last few weeks. All up I was meant to cover 13km in 1hr 18min and I think I covered it in around 1.19 (close enough).

On a funny side note. In my little amount of sleep I got last night I managed to have the weirdest dream. I was lining up for the Central Coast half and wierdly it went through someones house and through a backyard reserve. It was really wierd as everyone was given an overview of the course before hand and we had to make sure we skimmed the walls of the house and werent allowed to cut corners. In the end I accidentally followed the wrong course and followed the juniors that were doing a shorter course and got pulled out of the run and I was really bummed out because I thought I was going to get a PB. I'm so glad I woke up then.

2 Comments:

At 3:20 pm, Blogger Bernie G said...

Bec, great run. Wednesday's should return to normal next week. See you tommorrow.

 
At 12:20 am, Blogger R2B said...

Hi Bec,
On the weekend of CC half there is a 22k mountain race in the 'gong to so you could do that if you felt like something a little harder,cheaper and something you could run at your own pace.

I am still tossing up which to do.

R2B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home