Thursday, December 14, 2006

Happy Birthday to me.....NOT

Well, not much to report on the running front. Sean recommended that I cut my mid-week long run short if my leg was bothering me. Dean offered to go on a bike ride which was nice so I done that instead. Its hard to get used to the fact that my but gets sore before I actually get tired from exercising. I headed out for a run at work and went over to the Domain to stay on the grass. I only managed to churn out 4km before I decided it was silly that I was pushing through this and had to do something about it. Holding back tears of frustration I headed back to the office and immediately booked in to see a Physio.

What a disaster. I usually see Fiona and got some guy called Percey. What an absolute tool he was. He diagnosed me with shin splints from watching me jumping up and down on my toes. I'm no medical expert, but I would suspect it would take a bit more examination than that. He then just told me to stop running and ice my leg. Geeze genious, I'm really glad I come to you because I couldnt have found that out by googling.

So, I woke up this morning turning the big '25' and was looking forward to my birthday run, but after putting on my gear I knew it just wasnt going to happen. I had a bit of a pitty cry, iced my leg and then jumped on the cross trainer. This cross training is great but it doesnt replace running. Running seems to control my hormones and emotions, whereas I become a bit snappy, restless, and most probably irrational when I've missed a few sessions.

I've decided to go to see someone who actually knows what their talking about. I have booked in to get a bone scan to see whether or not it is shin splints as I believe its more to do with the muscles. I also dropped in to see Podrunner today and we are on the way to my orthodics fitting, I will be checking out running science so that I can try the Aasics 2110 and the Nimbus to see which one fits well with the orthodics so fingers crossed.

I'm off to feel sorry for myself and eat birthday cake and get drunk.

2 Comments:

At 11:34 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounded like a good plan Becky - how'd it go? The eating cake and getting drunk that is ;-)

Happy Birthday for yesterday.

Cheers, 2P

 
At 8:08 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds really irritating and not a good start to your birthday. Hope you can get it sorted out soon. Have you been to see Easy Tiger. What he doesn't know about calves and shins isn't worth knowing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home