Monday, November 20, 2006

Long run down in the Park

Dean and I headed down to my parents place after the part on Saturday night as it was less of a drive than Sydney. With a late night on Saturday I didnt learn my lesson from last week and couldnt drag myself out of bed early enough for my long run again on Sunday. I got up at 7.30am and it was already looking very warm and sunny outside. By the time I got myself together I was heading off at 8am...tsk tsk. I ran over to the Croome Road complex and as my bumbag was giving me grief I thought it might be a good idea to practice running around the track so I didnt have to carry it. This lasted 4 km's before I decided to stop babying myself and get a move on. I headed through Albion Park rail over to Oak Flats and ran for a bit around Lake Illawarra. I got to see some Pelicans and ducks which was really cool, but the lake really smells bad so I turned around and headed back. Once back in Albion Park I headed around the normal run that I do. By the time I was near home I had been out for 3 hours. I was meant to do 3.5 but it was 11am and it was extremely warm and I could feel the sun biting me. I should mention that AP is usually around 1-2 degrees warmer than surrounding areas. My geography teacher did tell me why, but I wasnt listening obviously.

I took some advice for this run and headed out with salt tablets. The pharmacy gave me normal tablets rather than capsules so they had almost disappeared by the end. I had sweat buckets so was having one every 30 min. I also took advice to eat along the way and broke off a bit of power bar every 30 min or so. Although it was extremely hot, I found that I felt great still even after 3 hours compared to previous runs. Nutrition will play a big role in my survival at Coastal Classic.

I felt really great for the rest of the day and didnt feel like I had run 28km (I was meant to do 32 though :-( ) I did get a bit sunburnt, but some gel from an aloa vera plant my parents had helped that go down and I am fine today. Had a ball yesterday afternoon playing cards and jenga (?). The time slipped by and we didnt get home till 11.30 last night.

I am feeling really great today, no niggles at all couldnt even tell I done a long run yesterday. I was meant to do 10km today but my body was crying out for a sleep in. I will be doing some of my pilates DVD tonight and maybe head out for a run.

1 Comments:

At 11:34 am, Blogger 2P said...

Good to see things are still going well Becky - so - from the comment on R2B's blog are you considering Six Foot now? Or is it still Canberra in your sights?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home