Thursday, February 15, 2007

Big Decisions....

Well, I have been dreading this post for a while, it has been a long time coming. I havent been doing much in the way of running since Megalong just squeezing in 5-8km runs wherever I can. I have been extremely fatigued in the last 2 weeks which have been due to the job searching I have been doing with lots of interview, work has also stepped up as someone else in the team is leaving, Dean and I are looking for a new place (unsuccessfully as the search in my price range come up with about 5 places!!) and I have also had a bit of a health scare which has had me doing tests and seeing Doctors. I had all the intention of doing the KJ's Albion Park Rail to the Gong run, but after waking up at 5.30 am and realising that it was not just raining but there was an electrical storm I decided to roll over and sleep in (I love running in the rain, but lightning is another level of stupidity).

I went along to SWEAT this morning and spoke to Sean about the fact that I really didnt feel ready for 6 foot at the moment. I think for me to attempt it I would need to be at the speeds that I was doing before I got injured in December as I have just been too slow lately. I wasnt really feeling that confident about the race and knew that it would be a battle to scrape in at 7 hours. I am the type of person that finishes everything I start so knowing that my chances were 50:50 were just not good enough for me. One rule that I have with my running is that I always make my choices based on if I will enjoy it and I think there was a good chance I was heading for an unenjoyable experience and the training had started to become a bit like a chore. I have to admit as well that I wasnt as obsessed with it as I think you need to be, I have really been more concerned lately with building up my strength and speed again and getting myself ready for camp. A little disappointing but as soon as I knew I wasnt doing it anymore I felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders as a part of me has known for a while that it was not a likely thing.

Training went well this morning. Still not up to the speeds I was in December but I felt as though I made a little progress today as I noticed I wasnt getting overtaken as much and I made sure I done the whole 10 laps of Big Bertha. As per usual it was my glutes feeling weak and the rest of the muscles were doing all the work. I also noticed that I havent been used to running at a quicker pace for a while so my cardio is going to have to catch up.

So, next big thing for me is SWEAT camp over easter. I am really looking forward to it. At first I was only going to go for the 4 days but I think I might stay for longer and mix in other activities such as kayaking etc and get Dean down there again. I really want to get my strength up again before camp so I can really make the most out of it because I got so much out of it last time.

I dont think my training for 6 ft has gone to waste as I have really fallen in love with trail running and have enjoyed finding some of the most beautiful places that are surprisingly close to Sydney.

The only decision I have to make now is whether I try and sell someone my entry or do I leave it for next year ?????

3 Comments:

At 9:46 pm, Blogger 2P said...

Hey Beck - what a brave decision. Well done on making it - nothing worse than umming and ahhing - I'm really happy for you that you can feel that a weight has been lifted from your shoulders.

I've also enjoyed following your discovery of a love of trail running - your enthusiasm is infectious.

Save that entry for next year (actually you can't on-sell it anyway unless the person runs as you and I suspect KT may know...) - you are going to slay it ;-)

 
At 8:53 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely save it for next year, you will easily be ready by then!

 
At 2:14 pm, Blogger Jen said...

That's a tough decision to make Bec but good on you for having the courage to make it. Save the entry for next year - you'll be back for certain :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home