Thursday, January 04, 2007

Ahh Heaven...Big Bertha in the rain...

I just realised I have forgotten to update on running this week. On New year's day (extremely jealous of those that were doing the Black Stump) I headed out to do a few laps of the Coastal Path in Vaucluse. I managed to entice Dean to join me for 2 laps which would have been around 4.5km and then done another 2 laps on my own. I felt pretty good the whole way and it felt as though my leg was getting better the more it warmed up. Had to dodge the mess of glass bottles around Christensen Park. Finished extremely happy as I was in no pain at all.

I had an email from Sean yesterday to say that if I wasnt 100% he didnt want me running. Yesterday was the day the physio said I should be 100% so I headed out at lunch to do 5km. I felt absolutlely crap. It wasnt that painful it was more that I felt extremely stiff. I wasnt enjoying it and called it quits. I was extremely disappointed and was almost in tears at the thought that I might not be making it on the weekend. After ringing Sean he said that if I made it through Big Birtha this morning I would be fine on the weekend.

After sleeping in for the last couple of weeks it really hurt getting up this morning. I managed the warm up and drills fine with no pain. I was worried about the session as I had been sticking to flat since I've been back into it so didnt know how I would handle 7 laps of Big Bertha. I stayed right at the back of the pack for the entire run, just taking it easy. I got lapped a few times, but I felt no pain at all in my calf. It was more my quads that were letting me know of their presence as they havent had Bertha for a while. I cant explain how great it felt to be back at training. I never thought I would enjoy a session doing Big Bertha in the pouring down rain so much. After a chat with Sean I got the go ahead for the weekend as long as I just take it easy. I am now super excited and it was great chatting to Horrie and Belinda about the weekend on the warm down.

At lunch today, I am off to get the rest of my supplies. I have a handy list of things to get thanks very much to 2P's great post on the Coastal Classic for 2006. I think I will be prepared as I can be on the gear front.

4 Comments:

At 8:29 pm, Blogger Jen said...

Woohoo! I'm so excited that it's all systems go for you this weekend. I'm actually coming up to Gosford to count laps for Horrie & Belinda.

Rest up & enjoy the next few days. See you on Saturday !

 
At 9:08 am, Blogger Horrie said...

As I said yesterday Becky, just relax and enjoy the experience. The kms will look after themselves. See you up there.

 
At 11:15 am, Blogger PortRunr said...

Happy New Year Becky!! Have a great time up at Gosford :)

 
At 5:17 pm, Blogger R2B said...

After qualifying at Beyond The Black Stump i have lost my mojo to go to Gosford but there will be plenty of other Kjs up there.Say hello to Glenn Hayward,Colin Steele etc.

Most of all just run it easy and enjoy it.

Good luck R2B

Ps 2 pennys plan is a real goer if it fits with your personality.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home